2018-02-07 / Front Page

Registration open for 26th annual Vermont Race for the Cure

Ray Smith, captain of the team Ray's Girls, heads out for a 5K. Ray's Girls have raised more than $7,000 for the Komen Vermont Race for the Cure. - Courtesy PhotoRay Smith, captain of the team Ray's Girls, heads out for a 5K. Ray's Girls have raised more than $7,000 for the Komen Vermont Race for the Cure. - Courtesy PhotoMANCHESTER CENTER — Early Bird online registration is open for the Susan G. Komen Vermont Race for the Cure, scheduled to take place on Saturday, July 21. For $20 as an Adult / Survivor, or $5 for Youth (ages 12 years and Under), registration is available now to be a part of the 26th Annual Race for the Cure, beginning at Riley Rink at Hunter Park of Manchester.

All events — a 10K run, a 5K run or walk and a Kids Obstacle Course — will benefit Susan G. Komen New England, with 75 percent of proceeds raised staying local to support community service organizations, and the remaining 25 percent going to vital national breast cancer research.

Whether running or walking, 10K and 5K participants in Vermont will have the chance to meet with loved ones, family and friends, as well as meet some of the nicest new neighbors and out-of-towners ever. Now is a good time to put this opportunity on the calendar, according to a press release.

Each year the Vermont Race for the Cure is an amazing day of inspiration as community and visitors alike come together to support one another; to invest in the women of the region, and their families; and to support local breast cancer programs and services that make a difference.

As always, participants can expect great food, ice cream, an incredible silent auction with the super support from sponsors from immediate Manchester and the Mountains community, as well as from all over the state. Add fun activities for kids and voilà, it's a family event for one and all. The Komen Vermont Race for the Cure will be the fifth of Komen New England's five Race for the Cure events being held in 2018.

To register, visit www.komennewengland.org and receive Komen Vermont Race for the Cure's Early Bird registration pricing now through April 7. Beginning April 8, standard registration pricing will go into effect, with fees going up by $10.

Linda Maness, Development Coordinator - Special Events in Vermont, and many committed volunteers, are already busy preparing for this summer's race. With 23 weeks to go, Linda wants everyone to know that, "... we always have room for more committee members, in particular in the areas of race course, event day traffic control, and kids’ activities. The next Race committee meeting is Weds., Feb. 28 at our office at 1009 Depot Street in Manchester Center."

She can be reached at LManess@komennewengland.org for those interested in a volunteer committee role.

For more information about the Komen Vermont Race for the Cure, call (802) 362-2733, email RaceVT@komennewengland.org, or visit www.komennewengland.org

Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Komen has set a Bold Goal to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50 percent in the U.S. by 2026. Komen New England is working to better the lives of those facing breast cancer in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.

Susan G. Komen New England began with Races for the Cure in Boston and Manchester, VT in 1993 and Hartford in 1994. The Affiliate has invested nearly $12 million in Connecticut organizations, $9 million in Massachusetts organizations, and $8 million in Vermont and New Hampshire organizations providing breast health services to uninsured and underinsured residents. The Affiliate has also contributed more than $8 million to support breast cancer research.

Susan G. Komen has awarded more than more than $81 million for breast cancer research in Massachusetts, $9 million for breast cancer research in Connecticut, and nearly $4 million for breast cancer research in Vermont and New Hampshire, all according to the press release.

For more information, call (508) 366.1945 or visit KomenNewEngland.org.


Return to top